| a "lite" version of SRE-http (updated 3 May 2001)
sreLite ver 1.06
is the lite version of the SRE-http web server. It supports
many of the most common web server features, and on fairly simple
sites will be quicker then the full-featured SRE-http www server.
Compared to the full version of SRE-http, the primary disadvantages
of sreLite are:
However, many of the most common features you'ld want in a
web server are supported, including:
- sreLite supports a minimal set of the http/1.1 standard -- several
of the fancier features (such as delta encoding) are not supported.
- sreLite becomes cumbersome to configure, and looses efficiency,
when you have a complicated set of redirections, aliases, and
- Many of the fancier SRE-http features are NOT supported; such as:
GZIP encoding, ssi caching, the "SRE-http" ssi options,
seperate browser and referer log files, elaborate multiple-hosts,
MD5 hash tags, the various pre-filter and pre-reply hooks, support for the PUT method,
built-in support for file uploads, et al.
- On-line configuration
- Support for both "basic" and "digest" authentication
- Access controls on a resource specific basis. In other words,
some portions of your web site can be open to the public,
some portion can be open to all registered users,
and other portions can be open to specified subsets of these
- A limited form of multi-hosting
- A directory specific "default" document can be returned when the request
does not specify a filename.
- Support for the ~shorthand for a "users-home" directory.
- Directory-specific customized "404" responses can be sent.
- Optional automatic directory listing when no "default" document can be found.
- A "list of best matches" can be sent instead of a "404" response
- GET, POST, and HEAD are supported
- Full support for cgi-bin/1.1
- Support for most sre-http addons.
- Range requests are understood
- Server side imagemaps are supported (using an included addon)
- Support for most of the NCSA server side include options, including #EXEC
- On-the-fly GZIP content-encoding (requires RxgzLIB.DLL)
- Requests can be recorded in a common log file, or by your own custom procedure.
Would you like to read the sreLite manual?
Or, are you ready to download the latest version of
sreLite_v110.zip (updated 3 May 2001,